Old 20-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Penny Morgan

Default Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune?

The blooms will last a very long time. Mine lasted through the summer and
into late fall/winter. The fact that you're in such a warm climate makes
things a little different. Here in zone 7b (NC), we have a pretty cool
winter with lows in the mid 30's/40's. In late February, it starts to warm
up and we do our cutting back of perennials and shrubs. Less chance of ice
freezing into the stems by then. I cut my butterfly bush back to about 1-2
feet tall. It was at least 8-9' tall and as wide. The prior owner of the
house lived here 3 years and, I'm guessing, never cut it back. Anyway, it
is now flushing out with very tall branches and lush leaves and stands about
5-6' tall. It's not blooming yet, but will soon. The branches before were
very straggly and arching in all directions. I just started cutting back to
the main thick trunk of the tree. Trust me, it will come back in full
force. I would cut it back once the blooms start to brown out.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Polar" wrote in message

My Buddleia is blooming up a storm -- has grown very tall.

This is our first season together & I am not sure when/how much to
prune when it finishes blooming. The Western Garden Book is
no help in this regard.

Any advice welcome.

--

Zone 24/8