Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Polar

Default Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune?

My Buddleia is blooming up a storm -- has grown very tall.

This is our first season together & I am not sure when/how much to
prune when it finishes blooming. The Western Garden Book is
no help in this regard.

Any advice welcome.

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal

Polar

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal

Polar
Old 20-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Polar wrote:

My Buddleia is blooming up a storm -- has grown very tall.

This is our first season together & I am not sure when/how much to
prune when it finishes blooming. The Western Garden Book is
no help in this regard.

Any advice welcome.

Late spring, before it blooms, before it sets new growth. Cut to
within two feet of the ground.

Deadhead as needed.
Old 20-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Tony

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in message
Polar wrote:

My Buddleia is blooming up a storm -- has grown very tall.

This is our first season together & I am not sure when/how much to
prune when it finishes blooming. The Western Garden Book is
no help in this regard.

Any advice welcome.

Late spring, before it blooms, before it sets new growth. Cut to
within two feet of the ground.

Deadhead as needed.

or late autumn after it has flowered, be brutal & you will get lots of new
growth next year.
Tony

---
So check it anyway!!
No attachments unless advised in body of email.

Old 20-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Penny Morgan

The blooms will last a very long time. Mine lasted through the summer and
into late fall/winter. The fact that you're in such a warm climate makes
things a little different. Here in zone 7b (NC), we have a pretty cool
winter with lows in the mid 30's/40's. In late February, it starts to warm
up and we do our cutting back of perennials and shrubs. Less chance of ice
freezing into the stems by then. I cut my butterfly bush back to about 1-2
feet tall. It was at least 8-9' tall and as wide. The prior owner of the
house lived here 3 years and, I'm guessing, never cut it back. Anyway, it
is now flushing out with very tall branches and lush leaves and stands about
5-6' tall. It's not blooming yet, but will soon. The branches before were
very straggly and arching in all directions. I just started cutting back to
the main thick trunk of the tree. Trust me, it will come back in full
force. I would cut it back once the blooms start to brown out.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 21-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Polar

Polar wrote:

My Buddleia is blooming up a storm -- has grown very tall.

This is our first season together & I am not sure when/how much to
prune when it finishes blooming. The Western Garden Book is
no help in this regard.

Any advice welcome.

Late spring, before it blooms, before it sets new growth. Cut to
within two feet of the ground.

Deadhead as needed.

or late autumn after it has flowered, be brutal & you will get lots of new
growth next year.

Thanks, guys, and Penny in NC also. .

Guess I'll have to wait until autumn. as it has already bloomed.
Meantime, "deadhead as needed"; roger that.

Does "brutal" = "within two feet of the ground"?

Also, are you both in this area, or aware of its conditions?

Muchas gracias

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal

Polar

Old 21-05-2003, 10:20 PM
pelirojaroja

As for "brutal" pruning -- we've cut our 5-year specimen down to the
*ground* one year, and it popped up prettier than ever. Tough stuff.

Prune away -- they look better when "brutally" pruned, I think!

--
-- pelirojaroja