Old 20-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Justin Hughes

Default Trees: Acer Bloodgood or alternative?

Hello,

Looking to plant a focal point tree in our garden. Unfortunately the
proposed position will be in full sun, south facing and be somewhat
exposed (only 3ft fences across about 50ft of neighbours gardens on
either side (north-south), and the wind can pick up.

We fancy something with either all year round colour (preferably
red/purple), or a good variation of colour across the seasons. We have
been looking at Japanese Acers. I understand most are not sun lovers,
but have read that Acer Bloodgood could be suitable. Any comments?

I've had suggested American Redbud 'Cercis canadensis Forest Pansy', a
tree I am not aware of at all. Any info would be great.

Also a local nursery sells "Royal Purple" Smokebush, Cotinus Coggygria
which have been pruned to be tree like. Anyone know how broad these
might get, as they look a bit narrow to be a convincing "tree shape".

If Acer Bloodgood would fit, can anyone suggest a cheap source. We
would be looking for a plant initially at least 1m high. Locally
(Berkshire) these seem to cost about £120-£160, a bit pricey!.

Thanks,

Justin