Old 20-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Justin Hughes

Default Trees: Acer Bloodgood or alternative?

Hello,

Looking to plant a focal point tree in our garden. Unfortunately the
proposed position will be in full sun, south facing and be somewhat
exposed (only 3ft fences across about 50ft of neighbours gardens on
either side (north-south), and the wind can pick up.

We fancy something with either all year round colour (preferably
red/purple), or a good variation of colour across the seasons. We have
been looking at Japanese Acers. I understand most are not sun lovers,
but have read that Acer Bloodgood could be suitable. Any comments?

I've had suggested American Redbud 'Cercis canadensis Forest Pansy', a
tree I am not aware of at all. Any info would be great.

Also a local nursery sells "Royal Purple" Smokebush, Cotinus Coggygria
which have been pruned to be tree like. Anyone know how broad these
might get, as they look a bit narrow to be a convincing "tree shape".

If Acer Bloodgood would fit, can anyone suggest a cheap source. We
would be looking for a plant initially at least 1m high. Locally
(Berkshire) these seem to cost about £120-£160, a bit pricey!.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 20-05-2003, 01:44 PM

"Justin Hughes" wrote in message
om...
: Hello,
:
[...]

Acers, in general do not like exposed sites as they suffer as much from
windburn as anything, but I do not know about your specific choice.

Old 21-05-2003, 12:08 AM
bnd777

Acer Bloodgood cannnot stand such full sun exposure it will scorch
Cottinus Goggryia needs damp soil conditions as if it dries out it dies
I would suggest you need on of the hardier dark red trees .......others may
know their names
OR

You might consider bright lime green/yellow of Robinia Frisia or Gleditzia
they like the sun and look stunning in any garden

Old 21-05-2003, 12:20 AM
bnd777

As for 1metre high trees costing £120 in Berkshire !!!!!!!!!!someones trying
to rip you off
Try Hare Hatch Nurseries on the A4 at Twyford Berks ......superb selection
of all manner of trees and plants at sensible prices
An Acer Bloodgood would be around £10
A Robinia or Gleditzia £10 to £20

Also Oak Tree Nurseries in Maidens Green Bracknell
or theres a super nursery in Bagshot that sells everything

Even Wyevale branches should not be that much

B and Q Warehouse Stores can also be a good source as can be Do It all or
even Homebase you just have to check around and look for new good quality
stock

but I would suggest try Hare Hatch Nursery its brilliant

Old 21-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Chris Norton

On 20 May 2003 04:42:03 -0700, (Justin
Hughes) wrote:

[...]

Bloodgood, being a japanese maple really will do better in a more
sheltered spot.

Plus if your after a reasonably mature tree (1m in acer palmatum terms
is a mature tree) then you are definately looking at a pricey
thing!!!!!

An alternative would be a trident maple (acer buerganum or some such).
You`ll be able to get a tree that could take a bit of the hammer from
the wind although they do get a bit of scorch but the bonus is they
grow like hell itself. The colour in autumn rivals the best of the jap
maples if it`s well fed. They are prolific growers and can grow by a
meter a year if left to go mad. But they respond well to cutting back.
Great for Bonsai and a really good alternative.

Acer Rubrum (red maple) would be good too as the autumn leaf is good
colour too. However it`s not so small and dainty and mine suffers with
aphids more than any other tree.

Old 21-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Justin Hughes

"bnd777" wrote in message ...
As for 1metre high trees costing £120 in Berkshire !!!!!!!!!!someones trying
to rip you off
Try Hare Hatch Nurseries on the A4 at Twyford Berks ......superb selection
of all manner of trees and plants at sensible prices
An Acer Bloodgood would be around £10
A Robinia or Gleditzia £10 to £20

Would agree that this is a good nursery. We went there first. They
only sell very small Acers for about £12-15, but these are only about
50cm high. I understand Acers are slow growers, and we want immediate
impact, so 1m was an absolute minimum. As a price check the Wyvale
opposite's biggest offering was 1m for about £60, 1.5+ specimins at
other places go up exponentially to over £100. We aren't talking
sycamores here!
Old 21-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Zizz

[...]

For a halfway decent japanese maple at about 1metre then I'd personally look
at the region of £15 - £30 not the £100s ... definately a ripoff!

Old 22-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Justin Hughes

"Zizz" wrote in message ...

For a halfway decent japanese maple at about 1metre then I'd personally look
at the region of £15 - £30 not the £100s ... definately a ripoff!

Tell us where you can buy them at that price then. Thanks.
Old 22-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Mark

"Zizz" wrote in message

For a halfway decent japanese maple at about 1metre then I'd personally

look
at the region of £15 - £30 not the £100s ... definately a ripoff!

Tell us where you can buy them at that price then. Thanks.

I got my Maple, Flamingo (Acer negundo Flamingo) from

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...l_Trees_12.htm
l#a306

No idea if they've got what you want but mine was £9.45 and 5ft high when it
arrived.

Mark

Old 22-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Tim

On 22 May 2003 04:49:08 -0700, Justin Hughes
wrote:

"Zizz" wrote in message

For a halfway decent japanese maple at about 1metre then I'd personally
look
at the region of £15 - £30 not the £100s ... definately a ripoff!

Tell us where you can buy them at that price then. Thanks.

http://www.tree-shop.co.uk/products_...theadingID=987
http://www.dungevalley.co.uk/special.htm

for starters
Tim.

Old 22-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Tim

Oops they should have been on seperate lines.
Google is wonderful:

Old 22-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Zizz

"Zizz" wrote in message

For a halfway decent japanese maple at about 1metre then I'd personally

look
at the region of £15 - £30 not the £100s ... definately a ripoff!

Tell us where you can buy them at that price then. Thanks.

I bought a Acer (osakazuki) approx. 4ft high for £24.99 two weeks ago at
Ingatestone garden centre in Essex.
I reccomend the place as the tea rooms they have sell real homemade cakes
(made by one of the staff) and do excellent coffee that is apart from having
a good range of plants and stuff you usually expect from a decent centre!

Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
hayley

they had some in B&Q, about a metre high, for about £30 - £40 last time I
was there.
Hayley

Old 23-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Justin Hughes

Tim wrote in message news:oprpko5fsdwxhha1@localhost...

http://www.tree-shop.co.uk/products_...theadingID=987
http://www.dungevalley.co.uk/special.htm

for starters
Tim.

What experiences have people had of on-line or mail order tree buying?