Old 20-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Wanted! A list of trees from So. Africa

Peter Le Roux wrote:

Hi Katie.

Here is a short-ish list off the top of my head:

snip

These are trees that I have personally seen growing as bonsai- some are
easier than others, some are suitable for indoor growth, some are good from
seed, some are very good as collected specimens.

snip

Hope this helps,
Peter
Benoni, South Africa

I have an example of South Afrian Puzzle Bush (Ehretia rigida) which I bought as a
rooted cutting on eBay three years ago. It now has a trunk 1/2 inch in diameter.
It grows quickly, so I am hoping it will double in thickness this summer as it did
last year. I'm not sure yet how it will respond as a bonsai (I have it in a large
pan to encourage free growth) because the branches go every which way, hence the
name. However, I'm willing to try. It's a very resilient plant and fun to watch
grow.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a