Old 20-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Peter Le Roux

Default [IBC] Wanted! A list of trees from So. Africa

Hi Katie.

Here is a short-ish list off the top of my head:

Various thorn trees (especially Acacia nigrescens, A.robusta, A.karoo, A.
erioloba, A. galpinii)
Various Ficus (notably F.natalensis,F.burtt-davyii,F.ingens)
Wild Olive (Olea europea Africana)
white Olive (Buddleja saligna)
Erica species (heathers- these are very temperamental and not attempted
often)
Camel-foot (Bauhinia sp.)
Ouhout (Leucosidea sericea)
Mallow (Anisodontea Scabrosa)
Baobab (Adansonia digitata) -if you're feeling brave
White stinkwood (Celtis africana)
Confetti bush (Coleonema sp.)
Karee species (Rhus lancea, R.kuni)
Yellow wood (Podocarpus)
Kei Apple (Dovyalis sp.)
Jade plant/Elephants' foot
Buffalo thorn (Ziziphus mucronata)
Waterberries (Indigenous Syzigium species)
Cabbage Tree (Cussonia sp)
Cycads (Cycas, Encaphalartos species)

These are trees that I have personally seen growing as bonsai- some are
easier than others, some are suitable for indoor growth, some are good from
seed, some are very good as collected specimens. This is just a small
selection- standard reference works on South African trees list
approximately 750 species. Their are also indigenous representatives of some
widely travelled genera such as Salix and Buxus that would probably be
suitable but I have not personally seen attempted as Bonsai.

As far as tracking down books from South africa, they are sadly either out
of print or fairly difficult to get hold of. Doug Hall's Growing Bonsai in
South Africa is an excellent beginner's guide, and their are rumours that it
is being prepared for re-publication. Peter Loubser (sp?) has published an
excellent technical guide, which is now out of print in english but fairly
widely available in Afrikaans (if that's any help to you!). Charles Ceronio
has written an excellent book on Bonsai Styles of the World which is
published privately- I am not sure of it's availability internationally.
Treeview is a journal of one of the local clubs- I believe this is available
internationally by subscription and has articles by a wide variety of
contributors, including frequent articles on indigenous species for bonsai

Hope this helps,
Peter
Benoni, South Africa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Peter Le Roux wrote:

Hi Katie.

Here is a short-ish list off the top of my head:

snip

These are trees that I have personally seen growing as bonsai- some are
easier than others, some are suitable for indoor growth, some are good from
seed, some are very good as collected specimens.

snip

Hope this helps,
Peter
Benoni, South Africa

I have an example of South Afrian Puzzle Bush (Ehretia rigida) which I bought as a
rooted cutting on eBay three years ago. It now has a trunk 1/2 inch in diameter.
It grows quickly, so I am hoping it will double in thickness this summer as it did
last year. I'm not sure yet how it will respond as a bonsai (I have it in a large
pan to encourage free growth) because the branches go every which way, hence the
name. However, I'm willing to try. It's a very resilient plant and fun to watch
grow.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Goodie! Once again the IBC proves itself!

Thanks, Peter.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --