Old 20-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Chris Stewart

Default Jerusalem Artichoke Advice?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Colin Davidson
writes
Dear All,

I'm growing Jerusalem artichokes for the first time this year. They seem

be doing really well, they're about a foot tall and showing no signs of
slowing. What do I need to do to them? Do I need to support the growing
plant with a cane like I would with a sunflower?

No - they're quite sturdy.

Do I earth them up to
improve yield like with spuds?

No

When do I harvest them,

After the plants have died off in autumn. They stay in good condition in
the ground, so it's as easy as anything just to pull a plant or two when
you're ready to eat them. Easier than trying to keep them in good
condition once you've harvested them - they tend to dry out.

If you haven't cooked them before, they're easier to peel after cooking.
The skins just slip off.

and how seriosuly do
I need to worry about them becoming a weed?

The don't spread to any degree, but it's very difficult to clear them
form the ground where you've grown them.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Hi,
Can you grow them in pots?? How big?? What soil??

Chris S