Old 20-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Colin Davidson

Default Jerusalem Artichoke Advice?

Dear All,

I'm growing Jerusalem artichokes for the first time this year. They seem to
be doing really well, they're about a foot tall and showing no signs of
slowing. What do I need to do to them? Do I need to support the growing
plant with a cane like I would with a sunflower? Do I earth them up to
improve yield like with spuds? When do I harvest them, and how seriosuly do
I need to worry about them becoming a weed?

Cheers in advance,

Colin.

Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Andrew

In article ,
"Colin Davidson" wrote:

Dear All,

I'm growing Jerusalem artichokes for the first time this year. They seem to
be doing really well, they're about a foot tall and showing no signs of
slowing. What do I need to do to them? Do I need to support the growing
plant with a cane like I would with a sunflower? Do I earth them up to
improve yield like with spuds? When do I harvest them, and how seriosuly do
I need to worry about them becoming a weed?

Don't worry about them becoming a weed - just live with it because
there's nothing you can do anyway! I grew them three years ago and I'm
still weeding out plants, but it's nowhere near as bad as people say, if
you're reasonably careful.

I didn't use canes - mine ended up much stronger than canes anyway. I
didn't earth mine up although I think you can from the support point of
view since they grow to 8 or 9 foot tall - not sure it does anything to
the yield though. I harvested in October, from memory and that's the
time to be careful if you want to avoid rogue plants next year... one
little sliver will become a healthy and vigorous plant if you let it.
Old 20-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Colin Davidson
writes
Dear All,

I'm growing Jerusalem artichokes for the first time this year. They seem to
be doing really well, they're about a foot tall and showing no signs of
slowing. What do I need to do to them? Do I need to support the growing
plant with a cane like I would with a sunflower?

No - they're quite sturdy.

Do I earth them up to
improve yield like with spuds?

No

When do I harvest them,

After the plants have died off in autumn. They stay in good condition in
the ground, so it's as easy as anything just to pull a plant or two when
you're ready to eat them. Easier than trying to keep them in good
condition once you've harvested them - they tend to dry out.

If you haven't cooked them before, they're easier to peel after cooking.
The skins just slip off.

and how seriosuly do
I need to worry about them becoming a weed?

The don't spread to any degree, but it's very difficult to clear them
form the ground where you've grown them.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Chris Stewart

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
Can you grow them in pots?? How big?? What soil??

Chris S

Old 21-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Colin Davidson

"Colin Davidson" wrote in message

Cheers in advance,

And cheers afterwards too. Thanks for the advice, I'll look forward now to a
harvest of lovely Jerusalem artichokes later in the season.