Old 20-05-2003, 09:44 PM
K Barrett

Default Black Haired Dendrobiums

I have steadfastly stayed away from Dendrobiums becasue some require rests,
and only bloom on bare canes, and it seemed like too much work to try to
keep all that in my head.

Nevertheless a few have crept into my collection, the most interesting of
which is Den sanderae var major. A very large white flower with a dark rose
lip (with stripes IIRC) on what will eventually be a tall cane. Andy's
Orchids may have a few for sale. The lip comes in a variety of darknesses.

K Barrett

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
link.net...
Last night I saw a different looking dendrobium Judith Hakayama. It

looked
like someone took two large white catt blossoms and grafted them on top of
the cane of the dendrobium. Each flower was about 5 inches across. A

large
plant of this in bloom would be quite a show!

This is one of the negrohirusute (Black Haired) orchids. In my

collection
I have Frosty Dawn that has been is spectacular bloom since mid February

and
still making a great show. Frosty Dawn has proven simple to grow. The

only
problem is it gets tall and I tend to knock it over if I'm not careful.

Does anyone have other members of this interesting group of Dendrobiums

that
have impressed them? I'd like to get a couple more but can't decide which
ones to look for.

Good Growing,
Gene