Old 20-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Air Layering Timing/Technique

I believe now is a good time to air layer deciduous trees (in
Zone 5) - is
that true?

This may sound trivial, but I'm trying to determine the

mechanics of doing
it - I know the basic steps, but is there an easy way (besides

using a pot)
to wrap the moss with plastic with no extra hands?

Nope. Unless you have 3 hands. Tie the bottom of the plastic on
in advance. Get the moss VERY wet, squeeze it tightly around the
trunk, then IMMEDIATELY pull up the plastic to hold it. Stuff
that drops out (and it will) can be stuffed back in later.

An "expert" did an air layering demo at our meeting last week.
Fun to watch. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++