Old 20-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Jim S

Default [IBC] Air Layering Timing/Technique

I believe now is a goo dtime to air later deciduous trees (in Zone 5) - is
that true?

This may sound trivial, but I'm trying to determine the mechanics of doing
it - I know the basic steps, but is there an easy way (besides using a pot)
to wrap the moss with plastic with no extra hands?

Thanks,

JIm

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Jim Lewis

I believe now is a good time to air layer deciduous trees (in
Zone 5) - is
that true?

This may sound trivial, but I'm trying to determine the

mechanics of doing
it - I know the basic steps, but is there an easy way (besides

using a pot)
to wrap the moss with plastic with no extra hands?

Nope. Unless you have 3 hands. Tie the bottom of the plastic on
in advance. Get the moss VERY wet, squeeze it tightly around the
trunk, then IMMEDIATELY pull up the plastic to hold it. Stuff
that drops out (and it will) can be stuffed back in later.

An "expert" did an air layering demo at our meeting last week.
Fun to watch. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 12:08 AM
kevin bailey

This may sound trivial, but I'm trying to determine the
mechanics of doing
it - I know the basic steps, but is there an easy way (besides

using a pot)
to wrap the moss with plastic with no extra hands?

I think that the development of a new pot styled air layering technique
that is illustrated here http://www.rooterpot.co.uk/ may be the answer.
I haven't tried them yet but Craig Coussins likes them so much that he
has put this site up.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Sean Nemecek

I think that the development of a new pot styled air layering technique
that is illustrated here http://www.rooterpot.co.uk/ may be the answer.

These things are GREAT! I bought one and loved it so much that I bought ten
more. There are a couple of very minor design problems. The top doesn't
always secure well and I have to use something (string, duck tape, etc.) to
keep them closed. They are very easy to use.

Sean Nemecek

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Harry L Abel

In a message dated 5/20/2003 6:36:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

it - I know the basic steps, but is there an easy way (besides
using a pot)
to wrap the moss with plastic with no extra hands?

yes, use aluminum foil, dont have to tie it. just wrap it and crunch it.
couldnt be easier.
harry
Harry Abel/Shinkigen...
a new beginning
we do not create the beauty, we only point out the beauty
God has created.
we are stewards of The Garden
bamboo artifacts for the garden and pond
hand carved lava water basins and free form lanterns
hosta bonsai bamboo japanese maples
garden design/build/management
770-434-9955h 678-462-7080 cell
www.shinkigen.com
psalm150
rock and roll

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 21-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Jim S

yes, use aluminum foil, dont have to tie it. just wrap it and crunch it.
couldnt be easier.
harry

How will you know when the roots have grown?

JIm

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Theo

HI Jim
I have done years ago with an apple tree ( it worked wonderfully)and I know what
you are talking about
never have done again but I always thought that these small nest we find in
supermarkets for onions lemons or oehers vegetables could be useful to fastene on
the trunk be stuffed easily with the moss and than wrapped with plastic to keep
the moist
Theo

--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo

Old 21-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Theo

Yes it is the old technique done also with soupe cans and seen also with
compressed peat in the shape of a pot..
the body of a plastic bottle can be used too
all thise urban waste can be useful I sent Nina few years ago a drowing of a
green house made out of a plastic bottle that I made and that worked very well
on some gardenia cuttings)

Theo

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Cuttings (was: [IBC] Air Layering Liquidambar Styraciflua) Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 28-06-2003 11:08 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a shimpaku Neal Ross Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM