Old 21-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Fertilizer...

A smart gardener would do some simple soil tests and base their
organic or sustainable garden fertilization on what soil needs to feed
plants.

Brix reading of miracle grow vegetables show them for what they are,
poor nutrition.

On 20 May 2003 19:29:14 GMT, (FarmerDill) wrote:

I have a neighbor who is into organic foods and she has seen me
fertilizing my stuff with fertilizer. Just your typical Miracle grow
stuff. From what I know, all it is is proportions of
nitrogen/phosphorus/potatsium (I.E. 10-45-10). I explained to her that it is
basically like giving the plants vitamins, and that there should be no cause
for concern when using it. Am I correct?
Thanks,
Scott

Yes to the extent that the soluble intake of N-P-K is the same regardless of
the source. However, remember that many gardeners have their own mindset and
arguing methods is like arguing religion. It just raises both parties blood
pressure but accomplishes nothing. Experiment to find what works best for you,
then smile and ignore advice that doesn't.

"Nature, left alone, is in perfect balance.
Harmful insects and plant diseases are always present,
but do not occur in nature to an extent which requires the use of poisonous chemicals.
The sensible approach to disease and insect control is to grow sturdy crops in a healthy environment."

Masanobu Fukuoka, One Straw Revolution--1978