Old 21-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Chris

Default Yellow Groove Bamboo Growth Rate

(MC) wrote in message . com...
If I do use a liner or preformed pond, what depth is required to get
the bamboo to reach its maximum height or is depth not important?

I recommend the preformed pond because it is much stronger than the
barriers one generally buries around bamboo, also it is stronger than
a traditional pond liner.

As to depth, Roger and Hermine Stover at Endangered Species indicate a
minimum depth of 6" for a healthy plant, ideal is 2'.

" Probable ultimate height in Southern California = 20'
Height in habitat = 26'
Loses leaves around -5 to 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
Loses canes around -15 to -10 degrees Fahrenheit.
Dies around -50 to -40 degrees Fahrenheit.
If growing in the ground it will look best in sun with some shade.
A running bamboo - rhizomes will run sideways in moist earth unless
restrained with a root barrier.
Minimum soil depth required for a healthy plant = 6"
Unrestrained rhizome depth in moist soil = 2'Yellowgroove
Bamboo."-From the Endangered Species website.

Chris
Chino, CA