Old 19-05-2003, 06:20 AM
MC

Default Yellow Groove Bamboo Growth Rate

I was thinking of planting some yellow groove as a screen in my yard.
I have a small yard. How have not been able to find out:

-What kind of root system do they have? I have a man-made pond near by
and don't want roots penatrating my liner. How deep do they go and how
wide from the base of the plant do they spread?

-How fast does it grow? My nursery has them about 10' tall for $100. I
see them online for $20-$40, obviously much smaller. Will it take
1,2,5,10 years for them to reach maximum height (I read 25')?

Thanks
Old 19-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Chris

(MC) wrote in message . com...
I was thinking of planting some yellow groove as a screen in my yard.
I have a small yard. How have not been able to find out:

-What kind of root system do they have? I have a man-made pond near by
and don't want roots penatrating my liner. How deep do they go and how
wide from the base of the plant do they spread?

It is an avid runner, the rhizomes can penetrate pond liners, and as
to how far or fast it will run depends on your climate and water. As
a rule of thumb, the run about as far as they are tall.

-How fast does it grow? My nursery has them about 10' tall for $100. I
see them online for $20-$40, obviously much smaller. Will it take
1,2,5,10 years for them to reach maximum height (I read 25')?

Generally acheive full size in 2 to 4 years depending on the size of
the start, water and climate. Height depends on climate, in southern
California it will probably top out around 20', the 25' is based on
its ideal climate.

If you have a small yard, you can get away with it, but I'd use a
barrier especially to keep it away from the pond and neighbors.

As far as pricing is concerned, you aren't buying what is above the
soil, but what is below. With all bamboo's especially runners you
want a pot just loaded with rhizome trying to get out of every
conceivable opening on the pot or even busting out of the pot.

Chris
Chino,CA
Old 19-05-2003, 10:32 PM
MC

Thanks for the info. I am in Chicago, so I assume growth will be
slower. Yellow Groove appears to be hardy here in zone 5. How deep
should a barrier go? What strength is required for the barrier? I
read they can go through concrete. If I use wooden 4x4s nailed
together, would that work?

Old 20-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Chris

(MC) wrote in message . com...
Thanks for the info. I am in Chicago, so I assume growth will be
slower. Yellow Groove appears to be hardy here in zone 5. How deep
should a barrier go? What strength is required for the barrier? I
read they can go through concrete. If I use wooden 4x4s nailed
together, would that work?

If you go down the page a bit it has some info about barriers.

http://www.americanbamboo.org/Genera...ingBamboo.html

Bamboo cannot go through concrete, but it can go through pre-existing
cracks in concrete. 4x4's nailed together will do little to slow
bamboo. It will work its way through the cracks.

Yellow Groove is extremely cold hardy.

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/tex...chys/PHAUO.htm

This link will give you an idea of what to expect. Endangered Species
nursery is a very good source for information about bamboo. Always
eager to answer questions that they can, never afraid to say they
don't know... but it is rare :-)

One thing that works well, are those preformed ponds that are sold at
many home-improvement stores. Dig out the hole, place the pond in the
ground, drill some holes for drainage, cover the holes with coarse
gravel (about 2") and back fill with the dirt and plant your plants...
instant barrier. The gravel will discourage the rhizomes from
escaping through the drainage holes, so you really only have to pay
attention to the to to keep the rhizomes from popping over. These
ponds are usually deep enough to allow decent room to manuever for the
rhizomes.

Good luck!

Chris
Chino,CA
Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 PM
MC

Those pond liners aren't very thick. I am surprised it stops the
bamboo. I may try that. I also read someone uses some kind of
fiberglass that you buy on a roll.

Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 PM
MC

If I do use a liner or preformed pond, what depth is required to get
the bamboo to reach its maximum height or is depth not important?