Old 21-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] The Kitschomatic Strikes Again

Iris Cohen wrote:

In one case I have the figurine and I am trying to get a tree to go with it.
Here is a case with no particular tree, but I need a figurine (I'll find the
right tree).

snip

I am grooming trees & getting ready, but the Kitschomatic
went off. I am looking for a miniature musician.

snip

If you know of any musician
figurines I could use at a reasonable price, I would appreciate it.

snip

In the course of my searches, I have run across some interesting 21st Century
mudmen. There is one group called Homies (very small) which represent all the
denizens of a Los Angeles Chicano neighborhood. There is another group, about 6
inches tall, called Reflexions, which are various characters you might find on
the Manhattan or Boston subway, like a poet, a skateboarder, or a rap singer.
But so far, no fiddlers.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

In a series of displays I am doing for the annual meeting of our denomination's
state conference, I found a passage in Isaiah (55:12) about the mountains and trees
singing. So, I would have to do a display to represent music. I thought I'd do a
shohin display to illustrate that passage. I built a shohin shelf and a shorter
one for the side. A small suiseki will be at the top, and three trees on the
shelves, and a mud figure of a man holding what looks like a zither of some sort.
I have seen other mud figures with a musical instrument that almost looks like a
dulcimer. No fiddlers, unfortunately. The lower, seondary shelf will have an
accent pot with grass, and a brass figure of a frog standing up on his hind legs,
mouth wide open, and "arms" stretched out, singing his heart out. I hope I can get
pics. I'm getting down to the wire, so I may just end up taking pics at the
meeting.

This might be kinda tacky, but have you considered a Hummel figurine? There must
be at least one with a fiddle. Don't forget a clarinet player too!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++