Old 21-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] The Kitschomatic Strikes Again

If you know
of any musician figurines I could use at a reasonable price, I would
appreciate it.

Iris: In Tijuana you can get little frogs playing musical instruments for
dirt cheap. And they're real, dead frogs! Wearing sombreros!

-Nina, who loves Klezmer music.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

In one case I have the figurine and I am trying to get a tree to go with it.
Here is a case with no particular tree, but I need a figurine (I'll find the
right tree).

snip

I am grooming trees & getting ready, but the Kitschomatic
went off. I am looking for a miniature musician.

snip

If you know of any musician
figurines I could use at a reasonable price, I would appreciate it.

snip

In the course of my searches, I have run across some interesting 21st Century
mudmen. There is one group called Homies (very small) which represent all the
denizens of a Los Angeles Chicano neighborhood. There is another group, about 6
inches tall, called Reflexions, which are various characters you might find on
the Manhattan or Boston subway, like a poet, a skateboarder, or a rap singer.
But so far, no fiddlers.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

In a series of displays I am doing for the annual meeting of our denomination's
state conference, I found a passage in Isaiah (55:12) about the mountains and trees
singing. So, I would have to do a display to represent music. I thought I'd do a
shohin display to illustrate that passage. I built a shohin shelf and a shorter
one for the side. A small suiseki will be at the top, and three trees on the
shelves, and a mud figure of a man holding what looks like a zither of some sort.
I have seen other mud figures with a musical instrument that almost looks like a
dulcimer. No fiddlers, unfortunately. The lower, seondary shelf will have an
accent pot with grass, and a brass figure of a frog standing up on his hind legs,
mouth wide open, and "arms" stretched out, singing his heart out. I hope I can get
pics. I'm getting down to the wire, so I may just end up taking pics at the
meeting.

This might be kinda tacky, but have you considered a Hummel figurine? There must
be at least one with a fiddle. Don't forget a clarinet player too!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Bart Thomas

Old 22-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Iris Cohen

And they're real, dead frogs! Wearing sombreros!

Oh, good grief!
Actually, somebody spotted a klezmer fiddler on eBay for me. I have a bid
going, & I hope to get it in a few days.
I finally got a donkey, but it broke. However, I found another one & just
ordered it. Now I need a lion.

Old 23-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Iris Cohen

I saw a maple, roots grown over a golem statue last year by Nick Lenz at a
local show.

Omigod, this I gotta see. Do you have a picture?
Old 23-05-2003, 03:45 PM
MartyWeiser

I believe that this piece and several others along the same line were
featured in an article in either the ABS Journal or International Bonsai (I
think ABS) about 2, maybe three years ago.

Marty