Old 21-05-2003, 04:20 PM
paghat

Default Suggestions for an evergreen screen?

On 5/14/03 3:58 PM, in article
, "jo" wrote:

I want to improve our view from a back porch that consist of a backyard that
is about 20 ft. of grass then natural woods for about 25 to 30 ft. followed
by a clearing with a creek. I would like to plant a tall screen just on the
other side of the creek along my property line to help screen out the stuff
the neighbor in back of me likes to store there.

The only thing I can think of is arborvitae of some kind. I like the
"natural" wooded look, but when the trees lose their leaves a line of
arborvitae planted at an angle across the back of my yard might look out of
place?
I'm open to any and all suggestions. We're talking southeastern clay soil
in southern zone 7.
Thanks for any ideas!
Jo

I don't find arborvitae all that "natural" nor anything else lined up in a
row as a screen. If you want natural, you could consider a staggered MIXED
screen. If you like aborvitae, then select a couple different cultivars so
they won't look like twins or triplets; break them up with an Alaska
cedar; add in a broadleaf evergreen tree such as Portugese laurel cherry;
have as a centerpiece an extremely well-chosen twisted or weeping atlas
blue cedar or a cedar of lebananon; don't plant them too terribly close
together & fill in between with large woody shrubs, preferably flowering.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"