Old 21-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Theo van Daele

Default English ivy - Hedera helix

Well, three things:

1) it seems to like shadow, but don't quote me on that.
2) it can be kept in check quite easily
3) it takes a while to "take off"

As with all fast growing plants, you need to do some pruning/cutting back
(few times a year), but it's not like it will strangle you when you step
outside.

Not sure about native our not, but it's *widely* used over here in Belgium
to cover sheds/walls etc...

Birds love to put their nests in it.

It may however not be unharmful to fish, and if my English & brain are still
OK, it's sometimes referred to as "Poisoned Ivy" ?

Theo

This looks like the stuff, but mine has never grown well at all. Well not
totally true. When I tore it all out and put it in my wife's veggie

garden,
while I dug the pond, it began to grow a lot. Maybe it's my location that
was the problem/solution.