Old 18-05-2003, 03:56 AM
zookeeper

Default English ivy - Hedera helix

Found a couple pictures and some info on English ivy. Pictures show the
flowers and fruit (which produces the seed which can be carried by
birds). Other interesting fact I found on the English ivy seed is that
its fruit / seed is mainly consumed by non-native birds.

Adult form in flower: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/hehe3.htm
Fruiting adult: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/hehe7.htm
Info: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/hehe.htm

I found these at an expansive site operated by the Oregon State
University. It has four "volumes" of landscape plants, and growing /
climate zone info for Oregon, Washington and Idaho.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond (Oregon)

Old 18-05-2003, 05:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
Found a couple pictures and some info on English ivy. Pictures show the
flowers and fruit (which produces the seed which can be carried by
birds). Other interesting fact I found on the English ivy seed is that
its fruit / seed is mainly consumed by non-native birds.

Adult form in flower: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/hehe3.htm
Fruiting adult: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/hehe7.htm
Info: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/hehe.htm

I found these at an expansive site operated by the Oregon State
University. It has four "volumes" of landscape plants, and growing /
climate zone info for Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

Kathy...great links...thanks. I need to go look at my Ivy again. I don't
think it looks like that. I wonder if I actually have the boston stuff?

BV.

Old 18-05-2003, 06:44 PM
jammer

On Sun, 18 May 2003 12:55:50 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

Kathy...great links...thanks. I need to go look at my Ivy again. I don't
think it looks like that. I wonder if I actually have the boston stuff?

BV.

Mine doesnt either. I think i have the needlepoint version.
Old 18-05-2003, 07:20 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
Kathy...great links...thanks. I need to go look at my Ivy again. I don't
think it looks like that. I wonder if I actually have the boston stuff?

BV, that site also has Boston ivy. Boston turns red in the fall / winter.

Jammer, the needlepoint ivy leaves resemble Japanese maple leaves where
each pointed section is narrow.
--
zookeeper

Old 18-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Nedra

My English Ivy has clusters of greenish white blooms... similar
in shape to the brown clusters shown. Strange that there are
so many different kinds... !

I do know that I probably have an "ivy"
house under the boards...

Nedra

Old 21-05-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
Kathy...great links...thanks. I need to go look at my Ivy again. I don't
think it looks like that. I wonder if I actually have the boston stuff?

BV, that site also has Boston ivy. Boston turns red in the fall / winter.

Jammer, the needlepoint ivy leaves resemble Japanese maple leaves where
each pointed section is narrow.

Neither of those describe my ivy either. Hmm. Time to install my plant
enclyopedia again...until then...I'll just say I have the standard the Home
Depot variety ivy, whose Latin name, if I am not mistaken, is "Ivicus,
buyitus by the flaticus".

BV.

Old 21-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo van Daele

BV,

I have two kinds in my garden:

1) "invasive" (growing like mad & spreading):

http://www.wide-o.net/various/ivy_invasive.jpg

(wall, completely covered, do not use this if your house is older than say
20 years, and they used "chalk" in the cement)

2) non invasive, smaller, very nice to use as "filler":

http://www.wide-o.net/various/ivy_non_invasive.jpg

(lower left corner)

The invasive kind is spread by blackbirds eating the seeds & pooping all
around.

Is one of those remotely familiar to your kind ?

Both their latin name starts with "ivycus, not_a_cluedicus" ;-)

Theo

Old 21-05-2003, 04:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
BV,

I have two kinds in my garden:

1) "invasive" (growing like mad & spreading):

http://www.wide-o.net/various/ivy_invasive.jpg

This looks like the stuff, but mine has never grown well at all. Well not
totally true. When I tore it all out and put it in my wife's veggie garden,
while I dug the pond, it began to grow a lot. Maybe it's my location that
was the problem/solution.

BV.

Old 21-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Theo van Daele

Well, three things:

1) it seems to like shadow, but don't quote me on that.
2) it can be kept in check quite easily
3) it takes a while to "take off"

As with all fast growing plants, you need to do some pruning/cutting back
(few times a year), but it's not like it will strangle you when you step
outside.

Not sure about native our not, but it's *widely* used over here in Belgium
to cover sheds/walls etc...

Birds love to put their nests in it.

It may however not be unharmful to fish, and if my English & brain are still
OK, it's sometimes referred to as "Poisoned Ivy" ?

Theo

Old 21-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Nedra

Opps... I think "Poisoned Ivy" is a whole 'nuther plant!
Or did you mean this as a joke? LOL

Nedra

Old 21-05-2003, 07:08 PM
zookeeper

Theo van Daele wrote:
BV,
Both their latin name starts with "ivycus, not_a_cluedicus" ;-)

Theo

...until then...I'll just say I have the standard the Home
Depot variety ivy, whose Latin name, if I am not mistaken, is "Ivicus,
buyitus by the flaticus".

BV.

Good use of "latin" here VBG.
--