Old 21-05-2003, 05:32 PM
lms

Default need help with planting my first rose bush

In article 4c2c02b55dc7789bc5805752f7c1ee04@TeraNews,
says...

lms said:

...check out John's site, that'd be a pretty smart thing.

As for keeping it alive a long time, plant it in a place with some

protection
from whichever way the wind blows and plant it close to your house, south
facing, and in your best available dirt, for me that's native stuff, I

don't
bother with mixing a third peat moss, a third premium, and a third native
anymore. Put super phosphate or bone meal in the bottom of the hole you

use.
After it gets going, fertilize it with the cheapest rose fertilizer on

sale,
or any kinduv Miracle Grow, etc. Never let the hole dry out, water it

every
day. Good luck.

I don't have the time to scan 'Johns' site
but I can't imagine he grows blue
girl any where but a greenhouse.

well, 'Theo', I'd think that someone from Minnesota might be interested in
what someone else from Minnesota grows, and especially someone who lives his
life pushing the limits of plantdom.
Kolner Karneval, which is its registered name, aka Cologne Carnival, aka
Blue Girl, was introduced in 1964, and while some roses may survive on name
alone, there always has to be more to it than that. What do you think that
might be? This rose won a Gold Medal in Rome so it is certainly not the
slouch you have repetitively made it out to be.

Anyone who's ever grown Kardinal knows that every rose Kordes breeds isn't the
hardiest devil, but in the very first place, anyone growing anything in
Minnesota has to be prepared always to throw the dice and take their chances.

And all this work will be inconsequential
when the d*** thing croaks this winter.
And so we loose another potential rose lover.

I am positive this Minnesotan has looked around the neighborhood and seen
roses, and anyone who's been bitten by the bug is going to do what they have
to do. If this means replanting their fave rose every year, then so be it.
If this means hacking their rose to 6 inches, then burying it under an army
blanket, then I guess that's also an option.
But in any case telling someone their rose is a dog that won't grow is pretty
much anything but a fine how do you do.
What I would recommend, if anything in this color range, is Stainless Steel,
which is a horse of a rose. But even more than that I have a rule to plant
what I fancy, enjoy it while I can, and to not dwell too much upon what
died last year.

Which zone do you exactly live in lms that
you so cavaliarly say grow it with out warning
her all the effort is of no use.

I live in zone o. I've seen minus 15 degrees F here before. Single digits,
plus or minus, is not in the least rare. A normal winter morning is 15
degrees.
I'd venture that growing roses here is tougher than 'Kansas City' because
out there roses knowses it stays miserable longer. Out here--in central New
Mexico--we start getting some real nice days in February, and for prolonged
periods. Long enough to get the buds popping, then Zap! This year it was the
21 degree temps two nights in a row in mid-April. Did the roses, cherries,
peaches, and apples, most the apples. missed the pears, still lots of pears.

Having gone thru the heart break of losing 8
potted roses (+1 still in ICU) I would not
wish that experience on anyone.

I don't do pots, that would be certain death. But for some it's just a matter
of course taking them down to the basement or something when it's time.