Old 21-05-2003, 06:56 PM
itten

Default Creosote and fish

I removed the two offending pieces that were probably leeching the
chemical when it rained or were getting wet via my fountain spray. I'm
going to try to varnish the two remaining pieces with polyurethane.
I'm hoping that will keep most of the Creosote out of my water.

In article , "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

"itten" wrote in message
250 gallons. Started out adding 12 feeders, then 20, then another 20,
then about 10 mosquito fish, 10 goldfish and finally 5 Koi of which I
lost one. I live in SC and the water temp is about 72. My pond water
tested good yesterday. I removed the two railroad ties that I
suspected being the problem. The four remaining Koi seem to be doing
fine as well as the larger goldfish. It seems that I started losing
the smallest of the fish first with the exception of one of my Koi.

I think your problem is probably overcrowding, but I also would not keep the
treated wood nearby. Creosote treated wood is much different from pressure
treated wood, and I would not put it anywhere near my pond nor garden.

BV.