Old 21-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike Hunter

Default wood preservative

"geoff" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message ...
I want to create some raised beds using some pieces of timber

Ross,

I suggest doing what I've done, use gravel board which comes pretreated

and
is reasonably priced. I've used 3 by 3 treated fence posts - cut to
appropriate length - at the corners using coach screws to secure the

gravel
board. I filled the beds with the soil surrounding them and put14mm
chippings around the beds. The largest of my 5 beds (asparagus) is only 8
feet square and the smallest containing rhubarb is 4ft by 3ft.

regards

Geoff

I don't think Cuprinol or similar would contaminate the soil significantly,
BUT
It is quite expensive.
It is extremely smelly and unpleasant to apply.

So I agree with Geoff - let someone else do the nasty treatment work for
you.
Like Geoff, I have used gravel boards successfully and have also used 3"
fence posts laid horizontally where I wanted strength and a more pleasing
appearance.

Whether you treat the wood yourself or buy ready-treated - DON'T burn the
offcuts as this is a sure way to release and spread the poisons.

Mike