Old 21-05-2003, 06:08 PM

Default wood preservative

I want to create some raised beds using some pieces of timber. I was
planning on buying some rough-sawn timber from a DIY store and
treating with something like Cuprinol- but was worried this stuff
might leak into the soil and damage edible crops. Is this likely?

thanks
Ross
Old 21-05-2003, 06:44 PM
geoff

"R" wrote in message ...
I want to create some raised beds using some pieces of timber

Ross,

I suggest doing what I've done, use gravel board which comes pretreated and
is reasonably priced. I've used 3 by 3 treated fence posts - cut to
appropriate length - at the corners using coach screws to secure the gravel
board. I filled the beds with the soil surrounding them and put14mm
chippings around the beds. The largest of my 5 beds (asparagus) is only 8
feet square and the smallest containing rhubarb is 4ft by 3ft.

regards

Geoff

Old 21-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Zizz

"geoff" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message ...
I want to create some raised beds using some pieces of timber

Ross,

I suggest doing what I've done, use gravel board which comes pretreated

and
is reasonably priced. I've used 3 by 3 treated fence posts - cut to
appropriate length - at the corners using coach screws to secure the

gravel
board. I filled the beds with the soil surrounding them and put14mm
chippings around the beds. The largest of my 5 beds (asparagus) is only 8
feet square and the smallest containing rhubarb is 4ft by 3ft.

regards

Geoff

I watched a program a while back where they used pond liner tacked down to
some railway sleepers to stop the soil being contaminated by the
preservative and stopping the soil from leaking through!

Old 21-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Michael Berridge

R wrote in message . ..
I want to create some raised beds using some pieces of timber. I was
planning on buying some rough-sawn timber from a DIY store and
treating with something like Cuprinol- but was worried this stuff
might leak into the soil and damage edible crops. Is this likely?

Look at the label on the tin, most will say that they are plant
friendly, creosote, which was definitely not, is being withdrawn form
sale in any case. Most of the modern ones are safe to use round plants.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 21-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike Hunter

"geoff" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message ...
I want to create some raised beds using some pieces of timber

Ross,

I suggest doing what I've done, use gravel board which comes pretreated

and
is reasonably priced. I've used 3 by 3 treated fence posts - cut to
appropriate length - at the corners using coach screws to secure the

gravel
board. I filled the beds with the soil surrounding them and put14mm
chippings around the beds. The largest of my 5 beds (asparagus) is only 8
feet square and the smallest containing rhubarb is 4ft by 3ft.

regards

Geoff

I don't think Cuprinol or similar would contaminate the soil significantly,
BUT
It is quite expensive.
It is extremely smelly and unpleasant to apply.

So I agree with Geoff - let someone else do the nasty treatment work for
you.
Like Geoff, I have used gravel boards successfully and have also used 3"
fence posts laid horizontally where I wanted strength and a more pleasing
appearance.

Whether you treat the wood yourself or buy ready-treated - DON'T burn the
offcuts as this is a sure way to release and spread the poisons.

Mike

Old 21-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Thomas Greeves

"R" wrote in message
om...
I want to create some raised beds using some pieces of timber. I was
planning on buying some rough-sawn timber from a DIY store and
treating with something like Cuprinol- but was worried this stuff
might leak into the soil and damage edible crops. Is this likely?

thanks
Ross

Cuprinol do a range of different wood preseritives. The better ones (more
expensive) eg "shed and fence preserver" and "decorative preserver" are
solvent based-(solvent penetrates the wood and lasts longer) but I would
avoid them in this case.

I would recommend you use something like Cuprinol Timbercare. It's water
based so it would (or shouldn't do any damage) to your plants

Actually a customer asked me for some weed control matting to cover the
timber for the same purpose.