Old 21-05-2003, 10:20 PM
pelirojaroja

Default Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune?

As for "brutal" pruning -- we've cut our 5-year specimen down to the
*ground* one year, and it popped up prettier than ever. Tough stuff.

Prune away -- they look better when "brutally" pruned, I think!

--
-- pelirojaroja
"Polar" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 May 2003 08:47:55 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in message
Polar wrote:

My Buddleia is blooming up a storm -- has grown very tall.

This is our first season together & I am not sure when/how much to
prune when it finishes blooming. The Western Garden Book is
no help in this regard.

Any advice welcome.

Late spring, before it blooms, before it sets new growth. Cut to
within two feet of the ground.

Deadhead as needed.

or late autumn after it has flowered, be brutal & you will get lots of

new
growth next year.

Thanks, guys, and Penny in NC also. .

Guess I'll have to wait until autumn. as it has already bloomed.
Meantime, "deadhead as needed"; roger that.

Does "brutal" = "within two feet of the ground"?

Also, are you both in this area, or aware of its conditions?

Muchas gracias

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal