Old 22-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Tim Tompkins

Default Leaves falling off mini

As a rule minis are grown on their own roots and thus are hardier than a
grafted variety.

In the ground they tend to be susceptible to spider mites due the their lack
of height. Just keep an eye on them and I you can, remove the lower leaves
to reduce the
risk.

Tim

"lms" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

My Sunny Kordana mini rose was purchased a week ago. I have placed it in

bright window that has full sun for part of the day (have yet to time the
sun exposure)

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

I do not detect pests, the soil is moist.

What can I do to aid my mini rose?

Amy

Plant it outside in the ground. Roses are not indoor plants at all,

unless you
count a misted greenhouse as inside. Roses detest the dry still air,

spider
mites appear out of nowhere, and everything you have described fits the

pattern
to the T, your experiences have been posted here hundreds of times.

Put it in a decent sized pot outside, if you must grow it in a pot, but

unless
you do this, your rose is toast.
And just follow any normal precautions of the pot drying out, etc., etc.
But putting it in the soil is far preferable to the rose. Always. A lot

of
exhibitors grow roses in pots before they find out if they're good enough

put in the ground, this goes for big roses too.

I grow one called Chica Kordana, and I swear, infact, that it's the

bustingest,
healthiest miniature I've ever grown. Blooms by the bazillions. Bought

it
on some counter at a hardware store. These are commonly called thwoaway

woses,
but since miniatures are most often bred from crossing a Mini with a
Hybrid Tea or a Floribunda (two larger roses) there is no reason they

shouldn't
exhibit every hardiness characteristic of their parent(s).