Old 22-05-2003, 01:08 PM
*muffin*

Default Algae & ponds

so far I am cringing looking at my "new" pond, waiting for the big algae
bloom, so far, not too bad,, getting kinda gloomy,,,, but not horrid.
from all I have read, plants etc are the best way to stop all this.... BUT
when you are in the colder zones,, & plant places say they won't guarantee
things till after June 1st,, what do you do? (ok, so I do have some hardies
out in the farm pond,, but to get cuttings I have to drain some water).
ALSO,, it is said when you have koi,, you do not put in plants ( as
several have agreed, on here, they just destroy them!) how are those ponds
kept clear?
I also read , it takes a few months for you bio-filter to start working ,,
uhh you have to go through this each spring?? I mean they do diebacteria
in the winter, right? speaking of, do any of you 'run' a filter in the
winter in the frozen north?? or just a pond heater or water spray??
( I also must have been really lucky on our old pond,, it always froze
over for the winter, & we still had fish ,, ok in the spring)
I also read, ONCE you have an algae problem you can never clear it up.