Old 22-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Lilac Bush

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "bthache"
wrote:

Hello group,

I transplanted 2 small lilac bushes about 4 years ago and haven't

touched
them since. They bloomed the very first year and that was it... they
haven't bloomed again. We just transplanted them again this week and lo

and
behold, there are buds on them! Is the transplanting just coincidence

or
were they needing something more?

They bloomed the first year after the first transplant because they had
set their buds the year before you moved them. As a generality, lilacs
stop setting buds for a year or two when they are shocked by transplant or
other significant stress factor. They had obviously recovered last year &
set buds again for this year. And they would've kept at it from now on for
years to come, but that you've replanted them anew. So there's every
likelihood they won't bloom next year, as they'll be working once again on
recovering.

I don't recall, but don't lilacs also like somewhat acidic soil? I don't
know if an imbalance would keep them from blooming, but still, might be
worth checking.