Old 20-05-2003, 08:56 PM
bthache

Default Lilac Bush

Hello group,

I transplanted 2 small lilac bushes about 4 years ago and haven't touched
them since. They bloomed the very first year and that was it... they
haven't bloomed again. We just transplanted them again this week and lo and
behold, there are buds on them! Is the transplanting just coincidence or
were they needing something more?
--
Tammie
Zone 2b-3a Far Northern Ontario

Old 20-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Cathy

I have two lilacs. Each one bloomed every other year. To solve this, I
transpanted seedlings from one to the other and visa versa. They now
bloom every year.

Cathy

bthache wrote:
Hello group,

I transplanted 2 small lilac bushes about 4 years ago and haven't touched
them since. They bloomed the very first year and that was it... they
haven't bloomed again. We just transplanted them again this week and lo and
behold, there are buds on them! Is the transplanting just coincidence or
were they needing something more?

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,
......(_)/(_)....................... http://www.VoodooInk.net

Old 20-05-2003, 10:08 PM
paghat

In article , "bthache"
wrote:

Hello group,

I transplanted 2 small lilac bushes about 4 years ago and haven't touched
them since. They bloomed the very first year and that was it... they
haven't bloomed again. We just transplanted them again this week and lo and
behold, there are buds on them! Is the transplanting just coincidence or
were they needing something more?

They bloomed the first year after the first transplant because they had
set their buds the year before you moved them. As a generality, lilacs
stop setting buds for a year or two when they are shocked by transplant or
other significant stress factor. They had obviously recovered last year &
set buds again for this year. And they would've kept at it from now on for
years to come, but that you've replanted them anew. So there's every
likelihood they won't bloom next year, as they'll be working once again on
recovering.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 22-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "bthache"
wrote:

[...]

I don't recall, but don't lilacs also like somewhat acidic soil? I don't
know if an imbalance would keep them from blooming, but still, might be
worth checking.

Old 23-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

I don't recall, but don't lilacs also like somewhat acidic soil? I don't
know if an imbalance would keep them from blooming, but still, might be
worth checking.

No, they like a neutral to slightly sweet soil. But you're right, a
check of soil pH may be in order.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 23-05-2003, 03:32 AM
bthache

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

I don't recall, but don't lilacs also like somewhat acidic soil? I don't
know if an imbalance would keep them from blooming, but still, might be
worth checking.

No, they like a neutral to slightly sweet soil. But you're right, a
check of soil pH may be in order.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
********************************

Aha! Good tip, thanks!
--
Tammie
49° 27.2' N.

Old 23-05-2003, 05:56 AM
HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING

Lilacs like full sun. If shaded they arent' apt to bloommuch. It takes
time for them to be established, a few years isnot unusual

[IMG] code is On

Can I split a Lilac Bush into multiple plants? Leythos Gardening 7 15-06-2007 08:28 PM
LILAC BUSH IN INDIANA Rodney Smith Texas 4 02-08-2005 06:43 PM
A dose of Epsom salts can help lilac bush to flower (plantman article) Earl@Greenwood Gardening 1 27-07-2005 03:46 AM
Lilac bush limey Gardening 7 15-05-2005 10:04 PM
Potted Lilac Bush Question Suzie-Q Gardening 3 19-06-2004 03:03 PM