Old 22-05-2003, 06:20 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Algae & ponds

On 22 May 2003 14:49:20 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Random thoughts on algae.

K30, this would be a great time to throw in your algae tips.

Koi & Plants. IME, the key element to having both is plant heavily, buy
small koi and preferably the butterfly type. Though I do have some Japanese
short fin koi, I've also gotten rid of a few of that type over the years
due to plant destruction. Only one butterfly has been removed, it went to
K30's pond and now behaves itself.... or did he go in the fish round up
last year?

Plants that I've found work well with destructive koi are those with a
strong stalk, swamp hibiscus, cannas, thick cattails, etc. Though one may
have grow these out of the pond till their stocks are thick enough. Many do
come up early enough that while their vegetation is tender the temps are
still cool enough to keep the koi fairly docile.

I tend to do a better job of plant rotation in my koi ponds than I do in my
veggie garden. Last fall when I took the tropicals out I put in over half a
dozen pots of iris I'd divided from my original plants. These divides had
been kept in a kiddy pool during the summer. I'm hoping by the time their
blooms are spent the tropicals will be ready to go in and the iris can be
sold or held over to go in the pond again for winter and spring of next
year. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~