Old 23-05-2003, 03:08 AM
John Savage

Default Advice on growing tomatoes please

(Frankhartx) writes:
From:
(Herbert Snowden)
I need help with tomatoes they never seem to grow that well in my
greenhouse or outside in the garden and them that do produce well are
fairly tasteless, what am I doing wrong?

What are you doing?

Perhaps growing the wrong variety? Try growing a mix of the small
cherry ones as well as a medium sized variety. I find that even when I
plant seeds from a tasteless store-bought 'plastic' tomato the fruit
off that homegrown plant still turns out to be delicious--so I can't
identify with your disappointment. Picking the fruit before it colours
results in something with reduced flavour, but not so much that it
could be described as 'tasteless'. Just make sure you keep the tomatoes
out of the fridge or they WILL lose much of their flavour.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)