Old 26-02-2003, 04:18 PM
kush

Default Cutting roots

You can prune the roots without damaging roots but they will very quickly
grow back. Most stem plants will produce roots from the leaf nodes. A more
effective strategy for most stem plants is to pull out the entire stem, cut
off the bottom half, and replant the top half.

I actually do the opposite with my Rotalas, though. I prune the TOP 3/4 off
each week and each stem-stub puts out four or five new stems, creating a
very dense shrub and inhibiting the growth of dangling "aerial" roots.
Still, every couple months I need to pull out the whole mass and replant the
stem tips to keep it looking nice.

Artur wrote in message
om...
Guys, I have a question. My stem plants, especially Rotalia, developed
long hanging roots creating Jurassic jungle type environment. Is it a
good idea to cut these roots, or are they necessary for nutrients
intake by stem plants? Please advise me. Thanks a lot.