Old 23-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Steve Watson

Default Shareholdes Pond Status

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
[....]
As a further update on status...

Rocks are piled around the back edge now, and I have planted some grasses in
them. I got a nice arrangement with some in the water, some out and some
overhanging. I want to get a few more to finish the back area up...pictures
are coming, I promise.

I also created a second small rock area near the front edge of the pond to
balance the larger rock area in the back. Variegated English thyme planted
in the crevasses.

I planted Ivy along the side edge (North end) where the retaining wall will
go eventually, and I have laid down turf grass seed everywhere, in hopes of
binding up the remaining clay. It seems to have stopped leaching into the
water, but I think the grass will help keep chunks from falling in.

My neighbor gave me about 1/2 dozen tree frog taddies. Every now and then we
still see one or two. Hope they make it.

The main pond area is graded and looking nice.

This weekend, if I get time and sun, I hope to finish the grading around the
VF. I also need to trim the VF liner, and plant the surrounding plants. I
hope to then split up my iris, and do a few other tasks.

I am close to done for this phase. Thanks for the continued support.

FYI:
Last week on another "Shareholders" thread, I enthused about a plant I
could not spell the name of. I have now found the plant, and the name
(last night in the garden centre of the local HD): _Oenanthes
javanica_ "Flamingo", a.k.a. Variegated Water Celery. Googling on
"oenanthes" turns out to be a bit chancy, as it is also the name of a
genus of birds, and another of fungi. Good hit:
http://www.aqualys.qc.ca/Html/MillieuxHumides.html and scroll down
alphabetically (the French is pretty easy).

-- Steve