Old 23-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Shiva

Default Royal Amethyst

torgo wrote:

Oooh, by all means keep us posted on how this one turns out !

Sure will, thanks.

It has been interesting watching the crop of S&W bare roots develop under
identical cultivation practices. In general, the bigger bare roots with
the most canes and longest roots did the best, no surprise. One exception
is Joseph's Coat, which was a big burly bare root but is taking its sweet
time. Royal Amethyst is way ahead of the pack, but Distant Drums is
amazing too--just full of blooms and only about 16 inches tall. (I don't
pinch buds just because I can't stand to! How's that for scientific
methods.) The big disappointments: Heart of Gold, Arizona, and Melody
Parfumee. I wondered if they were going to do anything at all, but they
have taken off, just in a very wimpy way, limping into bud, as it were.