Old 21-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Shiva

Default Royal Amethyst

What a gorgeous rose!

High-centered, strong fragrance, and what I would call a true mauve
washed with violet. It has good substance and shows some of that
pretty "brushstroke" kind of color in the petals, e.g. the veins are a
deeper color. Mine is a Weeks rose, grown from bare root, sporting
seven huge blooms this minute, though it is only about 16 inches tall.

It's new, but already looks like a winner!
Old 23-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Shiva

torgo wrote:

Oooh, by all means keep us posted on how this one turns out !

Sure will, thanks.

It has been interesting watching the crop of S&W bare roots develop under
identical cultivation practices. In general, the bigger bare roots with
the most canes and longest roots did the best, no surprise. One exception
is Joseph's Coat, which was a big burly bare root but is taking its sweet
time. Royal Amethyst is way ahead of the pack, but Distant Drums is
amazing too--just full of blooms and only about 16 inches tall. (I don't
pinch buds just because I can't stand to! How's that for scientific
methods.) The big disappointments: Heart of Gold, Arizona, and Melody
Parfumee. I wondered if they were going to do anything at all, but they
have taken off, just in a very wimpy way, limping into bud, as it were.

Old 23-05-2003, 04:32 PM
JimS.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.f0668bf5cafadb6e1a55bd8d449fa0b7 @1053701080.cotse.net...
torgo wrote:

Oooh, by all means keep us posted on how this one turns out !

Sure will, thanks.

It has been interesting watching the crop of S&W bare roots develop under
identical cultivation practices. In general, the bigger bare roots with
the most canes and longest roots did the best, no surprise. One exception
is Joseph's Coat, which was a big burly bare root but is taking its sweet
time.

This tracks with the experience of my Joseph's Coat too. It's growing, it's
blooming, the blooms look really nice. But it's not thundering forward,
like many of my other roses. At least in Seattle (and it sounds like where
you are) Joseph's Coat is just not a real fast grower.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 23-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 23 May 2003 15:25:22 GMT, "JimS."
wrote:

This tracks with the experience of my Joseph's Coat too. It's growing, it's
blooming, the blooms look really nice. But it's not thundering forward,
like many of my other roses. At least in Seattle (and it sounds like where
you are) Joseph's Coat is just not a real fast grower.

JimS.
Seattle

Good to know. I am not really complaining, I like that they all have
their singular personalities.

The gardens are a mess! Missed a spray cycle and at least two
weedings. 9,000 toddler oak trees are marching on the roses, plus
wild strawberries and other stuff.. The Crabgrass Pre-emergent lies
resplendent in its bag on the porch. I expect the crabgrass to reach
up and cover it any day now. But de roses bloom! The name of the game.

Just met two tight deadlines with a family (houseguests!) visit
sandwiched in between. You could knock me over with a rose petal. Now
the whole weekend stretches out before me and it will be days before
anyone starts screaming for their work again.

Ahhhh. Life is good.

'Scuse me, it's time for my afternoon nap.

Old 23-05-2003, 09:20 PM
torgo

I bought a bunch of bare roots from Fork and Spade at the very end of
their clearance sale in April. Many of them are still soaking, since
work and constant rain haven't given me the chance to plant them all
yet. One of the Oklahomas (I have several already, but I really love
this one, so I bought two more) was already forming buds right there
in the water bath. I finally planted it yesterday.

The biggest disappointments of the batch have been (one of the two)
Ambridge and the miniature Magic Carousel. Those were in sad shape
upon arrival. (I can't gripe too much since they were the bottom of
the barrel clearance sale items ordered on the very last day of the
shipping season, but otherwise I'd return them both.) The Ambridge
has three good canes, but the other canes were all very tiny and very
dead. The Magic Carousel doesn't look like it wants to break
dormancy at all. I doubt it will live.

Since I have all these new bare roots to locate, I'm banishing my
16-inch wonders to a "spare" bed in the back yard. Crimson Glory has
cranked out two nice flushes of blooms, but it's not even a foot tall.
Rather than new or larger canes, every bit of new growth has instantly
put out blooms. Nice to see strong productivity, but no growth
(hence no stems)??? Europeana is headed to the spare bed this
afternoon. That one's my fault. I moved it in early April, and it's
still pouting. Unfortunately, since it hasn't grown, it's now being
dwarfed (and shaded) by day lilies planted about two feet away. So
now I have to move it again, just to get it more sun.

I picked up a Melody Parfumee this season too. Mine's in a 3-gal pot
from a local nursery. Nasty case of black spot - seems odd to see
that coming from a reputable nursery. Once yours starts to grow, I
think you'll like the blooms. Nice fragrance.

Looks like we're both building up collections of fragrant purples to
go along with all of our fragrant reds !

Old 24-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Unique Too

torgo writes:

Crimson Glory has
cranked out two nice flushes of blooms, but it's not even a foot tall.
Rather than new or larger canes, every bit of new growth has instantly
put out blooms. Nice to see strong productivity, but no growth
(hence no stems)???

Painful as it may be, pinch those buds off and you should get better root and
cane growth. I find it very difficult to do this, since we grow roses for the
blooms, but it usually works on those that want to spend all their energy on
flowers.
Julie
Old 27-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Cass

torgo wrote:

Oooh, by all means keep us posted on how this one turns out !

Sure will, thanks.

It has been interesting watching the crop of S&W bare roots develop under
identical cultivation practices. In general, the bigger bare roots with
the most canes and longest roots did the best, no surprise. One exception
is Joseph's Coat, which was a big burly bare root but is taking its sweet
time.

This tracks with the experience of my Joseph's Coat too. It's growing, it's
blooming, the blooms look really nice. But it's not thundering forward,
like many of my other roses. At least in Seattle (and it sounds like where
you are) Joseph's Coat is just not a real fast grower.

I don't think it's a particularly big climber, despite that picture in
all the book, showing it growing to the second story in England.
Old 27-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Theo Asir

The biggest disappointments of the batch have been (one of the two)
Ambridge and the miniature Magic Carousel. Those were in sad shape

Ambridge is a 16" wonder!! in my garden.
Wonderfully floriferous though.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City