Old 23-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] U. parvifolia vs. Z. serrata

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

Zelkova -- almost always -- is a more interesting tree. They
have "chi" while Chinese elms don't. This last, of course,

is a
matter of opinion and like all general statements wide open

the exception.

By the way, Drake elms are dying off by the lots here in N. and
Central Florida. The last three times I have worked in the
extension office I have fielded questions about dying Drake elms.
Our county forester says it is a fungus (he gave me a name that
starts with "B" but It has slipped my mind - Botrides? -- I don't
think so.).

Of course, here -- as elsewhere -- Drake and other Chinese elms
were over planted some years ago, so they're ripe for an
epidemic. I suspect that's what got my elm groves this spring.

PREDICTION: The next landscape tree epidemic that is about to hit
American cities and suburbs will be in the Bradford Pear; if
there ever was an over-planted tree, that's it!

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++