Old 23-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] U. parvifolia vs. Z. serrata

How do you tell them apart? It isn't easy sometimes.

Younger Zelkova have lovely smooth gray bark, resembling a beech
(but a bit darker). The bark gets rougher and more elm-like as
the tree ages.

Zelkova leaves GENERALLY are a bit larger (1.25 - 2 inches long,
0.75 - 2 inches wide), but elms can have larger leaves (0.75 -
2.5 inches long and 0.33 to 1.33 inches wide).

Elm leaves are dark green, smooth and a bit shiny on top.
Zelkova leaves are dark green slightly rough, and dullish on top.

The base of an elm leaf is described as "unequally rounded" (one
side of the leaf base -- measured from the mid vein -- is wider
than the other). Zelkova leaves are more equally rounded at the
base.

Ulmus leaves usually have fewer vein pairs (10-12), but again not
always. Zelkova have 8-14.

Zelkova leaves turn color in the fall, . Chinese elm usually
don't, and in fact, may remain on the tree all winter.

Zelkova -- almost always -- is a more interesting tree. They
have "chi" while Chinese elms don't. This last, of course, is a
matter of opinion and like all general statements wide open to
the exception.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

Zelkova -- almost always -- is a more interesting tree. They
have "chi" while Chinese elms don't. This last, of course, is a
matter of opinion and like all general statements wide open to
the exception.

David Thoreau - Walden

I'd be interested in a fuller explanation Jim. Just curious what you mean.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

Old 23-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

Zelkova -- almost always -- is a more interesting tree. They
have "chi" while Chinese elms don't. This last, of course,

is a
matter of opinion and like all general statements wide open

the exception.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Our life

is
David Thoreau - Walden

I'd be interested in a fuller explanation Jim. Just curious

what you mean.

Some of it is the fact of commonness. Chinese elms are a dime a
dozen -- less if you have ever tried to NOT grow an elm cutting.

Chinese elms are fairly tough to get really good ramification on.
Zelkova ramify quite easily.

Imported Chinese elms are grotesquely bent into looping "S"
shapes and cannot help but be ugly.

Chinese elms look "coarse" while Zelkova have a bit of elegance
to them.

Zelkova bark is much prettier.

Zelkova have fall color.

Zelkova have winter bare branches, while the elms just look tired
with their over-the-hill "evergreen" leaves desperately clinging
to the tree.

And, finally, as I said above . . . it is a matter of opinion.

And yes, I have Chinese elms. Zelkova grow very poorly down
here.

Old 23-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

Zelkova -- almost always -- is a more interesting tree. They
have "chi" while Chinese elms don't. This last, of course,

is a
matter of opinion and like all general statements wide open

the exception.

By the way, Drake elms are dying off by the lots here in N. and
Central Florida. The last three times I have worked in the
extension office I have fielded questions about dying Drake elms.
Our county forester says it is a fungus (he gave me a name that
starts with "B" but It has slipped my mind - Botrides? -- I don't
think so.).

Of course, here -- as elsewhere -- Drake and other Chinese elms
were over planted some years ago, so they're ripe for an
epidemic. I suspect that's what got my elm groves this spring.

PREDICTION: The next landscape tree epidemic that is about to hit
American cities and suburbs will be in the Bradford Pear; if
there ever was an over-planted tree, that's it!