Old 23-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Scarlet Runner Beans - OK for kids?

From: "Chris Tondreau"
Date: Fri, May 23, 2003 9:16 AM
Hello!

I want to put some plants in to cover a very dull fence. I have young
children and am looking for something non-toxic & decorative. I know the
beans of scarlet runner beans are edible, but what about the flowers? Are
these child friendly plants? Any other suggestions? My children are always
supervised when outdoors, but you can never be too careful.

TIA,

Jacqui

Scarlet Runner Beans are completely safe, with one caveat: the bean pods should
be eaten when they're very young.....or they become dangerously stringy!
They're delicious when tender. The flowers are delicious and look lovely in
salads (but it costs you beans to eat the flowers...... ;-})

As Frank mentioned, climbing nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus) would also fit your
requirements. Look for something on the seed rack called "Fordhook Favorites,"
for example. Tall, fast-growing plants in various bright colors, they need
help climbing some types of fences. (Put some sticks or strings in front and
attach the vines as they grow if they can't twine along the fence.) The entire
plant is edible - leaves, flowers, seed pods.

Either of these annuals could be started from seed now and should grow quite
fast. The beans will be faster, for sure.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa