Old 23-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Chris Tondreau

Default Scarlet Runner Beans - OK for kids?

Hello!

I want to put some plants in to cover a very dull fence. I have young
children and am looking for something non-toxic & decorative. I know the
beans of scarlet runner beans are edible, but what about the flowers? Are
these child friendly plants? Any other suggestions? My children are always
supervised when outdoors, but you can never be too careful.

TIA,

Jacqui

Old 23-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Natty Bumpo

Hi, Chris!

Scarlet Runners are safe for kids, pets and wildlife. As another
suggestion, why don't you try castor bean seeds. They would be much
more attractive.

Old 23-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
Natty Bumpo wrote:
Hi, Chris!

Scarlet Runners are safe for kids, pets and wildlife. As another
suggestion, why don't you try castor bean seeds. They would be much
more attractive.

Probably shouldn't joke about this, in case someone didn't know...
castor beans are _very_ toxic.

Another real possibility is a vine nasturtium (flowers are edible, but
not otherwise generally consumed).

-frank

Old 23-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Opinicus

Frank Miles said:

Another real possibility is a vine nasturtium (flowers are edible, but
not otherwise generally consumed).

I didn't know the flowers were edible too. The leaves are a very nice
addition to salads.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Old 23-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: "Chris Tondreau"
Date: Fri, May 23, 2003 9:16 AM
Hello!

I want to put some plants in to cover a very dull fence. I have young
children and am looking for something non-toxic & decorative. I know the
beans of scarlet runner beans are edible, but what about the flowers? Are
these child friendly plants? Any other suggestions? My children are always
supervised when outdoors, but you can never be too careful.

TIA,

Jacqui

Scarlet Runner Beans are completely safe, with one caveat: the bean pods should
be eaten when they're very young.....or they become dangerously stringy!
They're delicious when tender. The flowers are delicious and look lovely in
salads (but it costs you beans to eat the flowers...... ;-})

As Frank mentioned, climbing nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus) would also fit your
requirements. Look for something on the seed rack called "Fordhook Favorites,"
for example. Tall, fast-growing plants in various bright colors, they need
help climbing some types of fences. (Put some sticks or strings in front and
attach the vines as they grow if they can't twine along the fence.) The entire
plant is edible - leaves, flowers, seed pods.

Either of these annuals could be started from seed now and should grow quite
fast. The beans will be faster, for sure.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

Old 24-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Chris Tondreau" contains these words:

Thanks for the info. However, aren't the beans/pods of the castor bean
toxic?

Very. You received a malicious reply :-(

Janet.
Old 24-05-2003, 04:32 PM
dementia13

In Chris Tondreau wrote:
Thanks for the info. However, aren't the beans/pods of the castor
bean toxic?

Jacqui

"Natty Bumpo" wrote in message
Hi, Chris!

Scarlet Runners are safe for kids, pets and wildlife. As another
suggestion, why don't you try castor bean seeds. They would be much
more attractive.

Look at the e-mail address... that's the same a**hole who posted about
the black roses.

Old 24-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Anita Bath

dementia13 wrote:

Look at the e-mail address... that's the same a**hole who posted about
the black roses.

Watch your comments there, dickhead. Who are you calling an a**hole?

Old 24-05-2003, 10:20 PM
dementia13

Watch your comments there, dickhead. Who are you calling an a**hole?

Well, I saw two a**hole postings, so I figured there was an a**hole
behind it. I guess I could have allowed three strikes before accusing,
but if it smells like one it usually is one.

Old 29-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Chris Tondreau wrote:
Thanks for the info. However, aren't the beans/pods of the castor bean
toxic?

Jacqui

It is the source of the poison "ricin" of Cold War and bioterrorism
fame. Eating whole seeds is an infrequent, but not rare, cause of
accidental death of children in some countries.

billo