Old 24-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Biological control of caterpillars

I grow a lot of brassicas and every year, in spite of resolutions to
patrol them regularly and squish the eggs and caterpillars, I never
manage to quite keep up with them - just too much to do mid-week and
weekend forays aren't enough. I always feel I'm doing fine, and then
from September onwards, gradually lose the battle.

I use mesh with partial success but at the moment I haven't got enough
to cover all I grow.

I'm wondering whether to invest instead in the biological control which
seems to be readily available. It is dissolved and watered on, I believe
and can be stored for some time, which seems an advantage.

Could anyone who has tried it report on its success, ease of use and how
often it needs to be applied to keep on top of things?

Thanks for any thoughts

Janet G