Old 24-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Die Spammer

Default Two acre lot with lots of weeds

James Branvold wrote:

I have around 70,000 sq ft. of lawn: 10,000 sq ft. of sod and the rest
seeded. I put in the seed two years ago and we had very dry conditions in
Ottawa, Ontario. The seeded portion looks pretty bad. It is fairly thin in
areas that I can see individual clumps of grass surrounded by bare dirt. I
also have lots of weeds. I spent the past two weeks pulling nearly every
dandelion and I've pulled around 5000 so far. I must have 15,000 to 20,000
remaining weeds. There's a lot of variety in these weeds and I don't know
the names of most of them. I've taken out one nasty weed called a Viper
Bugloss (1000) and Canadian Thistle (50) and something that looks like
lamb's ear (200). I have lots of clover plus many others. I can't
realistically pull that many weeds.

I don't water my lawn. It takes 3 days to totally water my lawn with three
sprinklers going for 1 hour on a spot. I don't have the time or patience to
do this. I am considering installing underground sprinklers this summer.

I started fertilizing last fall. I put a synthetic 9-4-2 on. I also put an
organic 4-4-2 on this spring. I'm not too pleased with the results.

So, this is the background. My question is: How do I get rid of the majority
of the weeds? Would you spray with something like KillEx? Will overseeding
and watering "choke" out the existing weeds? How about a weed 'n feed
fertilizer? I've been hesitent to use chemicals since my two year old plays
on the lawn. I don't think I can use Round-up. I can't "paint" 20,000 weeds.

The Weed&Feed will kill and prevent weeds. Also the alot of watering will drown
and kill weeds that thrive in dry soil.