Old 24-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Libralove

Default Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc.

in article , Carol Adams at
wrote on 5/24/03 10:13 AM:

Something is taking my mature bell peppers. Whoever or whatever it is, they
are breaking the stem above the pepper and then either removing it from the
area or consuming it entirely - in other words, they leave absolutely no
seeds or scraps; the peppers are simply gone. The stems they break to take
away the peppers look broken and not gnawed.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be doing this? I live in an area
where rabbits, raccoons, and possums are plentiful (deer too, but the pepper
thefts are taking place inside my deer fence, so I know it can't be the
deer). If critters don't take peppers, then I'm going to have to conclude
it's a human who's coming into my yard and helping himself/herself. Peppers
are the only vegetable I'm growing at the moment, so I haven't had similar
experiences with other plants.

Yep, I think you nailed it. If you work during the day and are not home to
guard them, it is most likely a nervy neighbor too cheap to purchase
produce.

The pepper thefts occur regularly - in fact I have not been able to take a
single pepper for my own use yet this year. Whoever/whatever is taking them
does not take the immature fruits - just the ones that are ready to harvest.
My fence does not keep out rabbits, raccoons, or possums, and I even get an
occasional fox in my backyard. Does anyone have any ideas about what sort of
critter might be taking my peppers? I've grown them before and not had this
problem, but maybe I was just lucky.

thanks
carol