Old 28-02-2003, 06:48 AM
E. Mito

Default Trumpet snail exodus

In article , "dGH"
writes:

I've just seen the most amazing thing, and I'd like to know if there's a
reason for concern. I have a small recently planted tank (20g). I switched
off the light, and 20 minutes later there are 50 trumpet snails "beelining"
it to the surface along a congested path in the middle of the front glass.
It looked like a highway during rush hour. They were even releasing their
offspring as they went. By the time the adults reached the top, there must
have been 20 young snails mixed in with them. I really wish I owned a
digital camera. All this occured on a path that was no wider than 2 inches
across.

Sounds like a fascinating sight! Must have been amazing to watch. I don't
know if there is really any reason for you to be alarmed; I was just browsing
through the Baensch atlas and the section on trumpet snails says this is just
what they do. "At night they will collect on the glass just beneath the water
line..."

Maybe they were just following one who knew the way.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm