Old 24-05-2003, 06:47 PM
andrewpreece

Default Rambling rose

There may be a slight problem here; a lot of roses are grafted onto a
rootstock
of a different rose, a bit like fruit trees. What has regrown may, just may,
be
suckers from a grafted rootstock, so who knows whether you have the original
rose or something completely different. It may be that ramblers are on their
own rootstock; anybodyknow?

Andy

"Tom Warner" wrote in message
We dug out an old (40+ years) rambler type rose last year because of some
work we had to do on the house.
No idea of variety or even colour, it inhabited a neglected corner and was
left to its own devices.
Surprise surprise this year it sent up a bunch of fresh green shoots from

bit of root that was missed, so I want to give it a chance and train it up
the wall.
Has anyone any tips on training/pruning, without me having to wade through
an entire book on rose cultivation?
Its against a south facing wall with a 6 ft fence just to the west, London
clay type soil.
Thanks
Tom