Old 24-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Tom Warner

Default Rambling rose

We dug out an old (40+ years) rambler type rose last year because of some
work we had to do on the house.
No idea of variety or even colour, it inhabited a neglected corner and was
left to its own devices.
Surprise surprise this year it sent up a bunch of fresh green shoots from a
bit of root that was missed, so I want to give it a chance and train it up
the wall.
Has anyone any tips on training/pruning, without me having to wade through
an entire book on rose cultivation?
Its against a south facing wall with a 6 ft fence just to the west, London
clay type soil.
Thanks
Tom

Old 24-05-2003, 08:32 AM
David Hill

Just wondering if the shoots you have are from the rootstock that the rose
may have been grafted onto, in which case all you will have will be wild
rose or Rugosa,
But if it was on it's own roots then it should be OK

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-05-2003, 06:47 PM
andrewpreece

There may be a slight problem here; a lot of roses are grafted onto a
rootstock
of a different rose, a bit like fruit trees. What has regrown may, just may,
be
suckers from a grafted rootstock, so who knows whether you have the original
rose or something completely different. It may be that ramblers are on their
own rootstock; anybodyknow?

Andy

Old 25-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Charlie Pridham

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
There may be a slight problem here; a lot of roses are grafted onto a
rootstock
of a different rose, a bit like fruit trees. What has regrown may, just

may,
be
suckers from a grafted rootstock, so who knows whether you have the

original
rose or something completely different. It may be that ramblers are on

their
own rootstock; anybodyknow?

Andy

Generally budded onto a rootstock by the bigger growers, but its usually
Rosa multiflora (normally the thornless form) rather than the Rosa laxa
stock used for bush roses. smaller growers will often use cuttings.
So if the original posters rose has fine green foliage, no thorns and a
profussion of white scented flowers - its the rootstock!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Tom Warner

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Generally budded onto a rootstock by the bigger growers, but its usually
Rosa multiflora (normally the thornless form) rather than the Rosa laxa
stock used for bush roses. smaller growers will often use cuttings.
So if the original posters rose has fine green foliage, no thorns and a
profussion of white scented flowers - its the rootstock!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

The rose is 18 inches high and already has a fine collection of thorns, so
probably not the rootstock.
Anyone like to address my original question?
Tips on training/pruning please.
Many thanks
Tom

Old 26-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Tom Warner" contains these words:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Generally budded onto a rootstock by the bigger growers, but its usually
Rosa multiflora (normally the thornless form) rather than the Rosa laxa
stock used for bush roses. smaller growers will often use cuttings.
So if the original posters rose has fine green foliage, no thorns and a
profussion of white scented flowers - its the rootstock!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

The rose is 18 inches high and already has a fine collection of thorns, so
probably not the rootstock.
Anyone like to address my original question?
Tips on training/pruning please.

We don't really have enough information for that, Tom; different
ramblers and climbers require different treatment and nobody can guess
what rose yours is until it flowers.

IME, rootstock suckers from elderly roses often do have thorns, because
someone budded a slip onto a dogrose rootstock they dug from a hedgerow,
in days when very little else was available.

Janet.

Old 27-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Tom Warner

We don't really have enough information for that, Tom; different
ramblers and climbers require different treatment and nobody can guess
what rose yours is until it flowers.

IME, rootstock suckers from elderly roses often do have thorns, because
someone budded a slip onto a dogrose rootstock they dug from a hedgerow,
in days when very little else was available.

Janet.

OK. Thanks anyway
I will leave it for a year and see what I get.
Cheers
Tom

Old 27-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

The rose is 18 inches high and already has a fine collection of thorns, so
probably not the rootstock.
Anyone like to address my original question?
Tips on training/pruning please.
Many thanks
Tom

Just tie in the growth as required, after flowering (next year, its unlikely
to flower this year) you can remove as much of the flowered stems as you
want, or not, your choice. mulch and feed in winter.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

what rambling rose to plant by fence irene24 Roses 1 26-06-2013 06:33 AM
Climbing/Rambling rose recommendation stitchandfold Roses 2 23-03-2012 11:44 AM
Rambling rose Phil[_4_] United Kingdom 7 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Rambling rose suggestions MikeCT United Kingdom 7 27-11-2006 06:14 PM
Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ? Pip United Kingdom 5 12-04-2003 10:08 PM