Old 28-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Frank Mamone

Default carbon filter media + planted tanks

I thought it's best to keep surface agitation in a planted tank to a minimum
as to keep whatever Co2 is available to the planted, especially if you don't
have injection.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
1.) I'd like to know if it's best to take the carbon filter media out of

my
planted tank and why?

Carbon isn't necessary in a planted tank. And some people fear it will

remove
nutrients that the plants need. However, there's probably not enough

carbon in
your filter insert to make a difference. If you have an Aquaclear or a
cannister filter, leave the carbon out of it. If you have something like

Whisper, where the carbon is built into the pad, don't worry about it.

2.) I don't use C02 in my tank and I'd like to know if a small bubble

stone
would prevent plant growth in any way..

Not at all. Aeration/surface agitation is good for a non-CO2 injected

tank.

Leigh