Old 27-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Phil Williamson

Default carbon filter media + planted tanks

Hey all! Thanks to anyone that has helped me out in the past, you guys are
the best!

1.) I'd like to know if it's best to take the carbon filter media out of my
planted tank and why?

2.) I don't use C02 in my tank and I'd like to know if a small bubble stone
would prevent plant growth in any way..

Thanks again,

Phil...

Old 28-02-2003, 02:12 AM
LeighMo

1.) I'd like to know if it's best to take the carbon filter media out of my
planted tank and why?

Carbon isn't necessary in a planted tank. And some people fear it will remove
nutrients that the plants need. However, there's probably not enough carbon in
your filter insert to make a difference. If you have an Aquaclear or a
cannister filter, leave the carbon out of it. If you have something like a
Whisper, where the carbon is built into the pad, don't worry about it.

2.) I don't use C02 in my tank and I'd like to know if a small bubble stone
would prevent plant growth in any way..

Not at all. Aeration/surface agitation is good for a non-CO2 injected tank.

Leigh

Old 28-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Frank Mamone

I thought it's best to keep surface agitation in a planted tank to a minimum
as to keep whatever Co2 is available to the planted, especially if you don't
have injection.

Old 28-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Dave Millman

Frank Mamone wrote:

I thought it's best to keep surface agitation in a planted tank to a minimum
as to keep whatever Co2 is available to the planted, especially if you don't
have injection.

There are two cases:

If you DO NOT HAVE CO2 injection, then you need surface agitation to maximize
CO2 diffusion from the atmosphere into the water.

If you have any type of CO2 injection (DIY or pressurized), then you want to
minimize surface agitation to minimize CO2 loss from the water.

Old 01-03-2003, 01:46 AM
linda mar

I'm a newbie so i may be way off on this...

There are two cases:

If you DO NOT HAVE CO2 injection, then you need surface agitation to

maximize
CO2 diffusion from the atmosphere into the water.

If you have any type of CO2 injection (DIY or pressurized), then you want

minimize surface agitation to minimize CO2 loss from the water.

is there a case on a non-injected tank to have to much agitation to reduce
CO2 than would otherwise? (meaning, fish giving off more CO2 in the tank and
if you agitate it too much it would actually take out the CO2 from the
water)? or is fish respiration never great enough to create that kind of
imbalance/supersaturation in a soft, alkaline water?

Phyl told me not to use bubble agitation (venturi), as that will cause the
CO2 to escape too much (she knows I don't have CO2 injection)... so I'm
just wondering...

linda

Old 01-03-2003, 02:24 AM
LeighMo

is there a case on a non-injected tank to have to much agitation to reduce
CO2 than would otherwise? (meaning, fish giving off more CO2 in the tank and
if you agitate it too much it would actually take out the CO2 from the
water)?

No.

or is fish respiration never great enough to create that kind of
imbalance/supersaturation in a soft, alkaline water?

Yes. Fish respiration produces negligible CO2 compared to diffusion with the
atmosphere.

Phyl told me not to use bubble agitation (venturi), as that will cause the
CO2 to escape too much (she knows I don't have CO2 injection)... so I'm
just wondering...

Either she's mistaken, or she forgot you don't have CO2. There's no reason to
avoid aeration or surface agitation in a non-injected tank.

Leigh

Old 01-03-2003, 03:06 AM
linda mar

Hi!

or is fish respiration never great enough to create that kind of
imbalance/supersaturation in a soft, alkaline water?

Yes. Fish respiration produces negligible CO2 compared to diffusion with

the
atmosphere.

ok. that's good to know :-)

Either she's mistaken, or she forgot you don't have CO2. There's no

reason to
avoid aeration or surface agitation in a non-injected tank.

ok. thank you for the clarification! :-)

linda