Old 24-05-2003, 07:08 PM
andrewpreece

Default Living screen??

"bnd777" wrote in message
Bamboo needs moisture so would not be suitable

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"shannie" wrote in message
Please excuse the fairly long posting. Come Autumn I hope to dig up

some
old
and very tired shrubs in the front garden. The bed I want to redo is

along
wall, the wall is only about 2ft high and about 15ft long and just

over
the
wall is a new oil tank standing 6ft high. Coming up the gardens

towards
this
tank is a howling northern gale, there are leylandii 40ft or so from

this
but beyond is just fields as far as the eye can see and you can

imagine,
they are a good break but not wonderful. I'd like to put some kind of

living
screen in this bed, something that will grow to about 6/7ft. Not
leylandii....the middle of the garden is fine for them but not the

front
garden. What could I plant that will take the brunt of a north wind on

one
side, the heat of the southern sun on the other and won't undermine

the
oil
tank?? I had considered bamboo but someone told me it had to be cut

down,
I'd prefer something permanent, fairly fast growning as Im sick of

looking
at the oil tank everytime I pull into the driveway Oh one other

thing,
can't put in trellis as the foundations of the wall are a mess,

whoever
put
it in left no room on the north side for planting and the wall's not

high
enough to support it with the winds etc.

Yew is the bestest hedge, but it'll take five years to blot out your oil
tank.
It is however smart, evergreen and will take any amount of clipping and
regrow from old wood. Sounds like you're out in the country though, so
you may want a more informal hedge. A bit faster, informal, but deciduous
is Quickthorn, which I hear is faster to develop than Hawthorn.
For rapid results this summer, how about Leycesteria Formosa,
the Pheasant Berry, decorative, flowering bracts and berries, slightly
exotic, and will get to six feet in one season? It dies down to nothing in
the winter though! Not sure about its reaction to howling wind. Just some
thoughts,

Andy.

Andy.