Old 24-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Chuck Mercer

Default Why plant tomatoes 6-8 weeks in advance?

I told a friend that I would like to grow some tomatoes from seed and
he told me that it is too late this year and that tomatoes are usually
started indoors 6 to 8 weeks prior to being planted outdoors. This
friend told me if I planted seed directly outdoors then tomatoes which
say they produce ripe fruit in 8 weeks will require 14 to 16 weeks.

Another friend tells me the plants will produce fruit in the same time
but the plants will just will not be as large or as productive. Who
is correct?