Old 24-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Chuck Mercer

Default Why plant tomatoes 6-8 weeks in advance?

I told a friend that I would like to grow some tomatoes from seed and
he told me that it is too late this year and that tomatoes are usually
started indoors 6 to 8 weeks prior to being planted outdoors. This
friend told me if I planted seed directly outdoors then tomatoes which
say they produce ripe fruit in 8 weeks will require 14 to 16 weeks.

Another friend tells me the plants will produce fruit in the same time
but the plants will just will not be as large or as productive. Who
is correct?

Old 24-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Chuck Mercer

wrote:

I told a friend that I would like to grow some tomatoes from seed and
he told me that it is too late this year and that tomatoes are usually
started indoors 6 to 8 weeks prior to being planted outdoors. This
friend told me if I planted seed directly outdoors then tomatoes which
say they produce ripe fruit in 8 weeks will require 14 to 16 weeks.

Another friend tells me the plants will produce fruit in the same time
but the plants will just will not be as large or as productive. Who
is correct?

The first one.

Pat

Shoots. Guess it is next year for me. sob
Old 25-05-2003, 01:32 AM
FDR

wrote:

I told a friend that I would like to grow some tomatoes from seed and
he told me that it is too late this year and that tomatoes are usually
started indoors 6 to 8 weeks prior to being planted outdoors. This
friend told me if I planted seed directly outdoors then tomatoes which
say they produce ripe fruit in 8 weeks will require 14 to 16 weeks.

Another friend tells me the plants will produce fruit in the same time
but the plants will just will not be as large or as productive. Who
is correct?

The first one.

Pat

Shoots. Guess it is next year for me. sob

Go get some plants from your local nursery or Home Depot.

Old 25-05-2003, 01:44 AM
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

I told a friend that I would like to grow some tomatoes from seed and
he told me that it is too late this year and that tomatoes are usually
started indoors 6 to 8 weeks prior to being planted outdoors. This
friend told me if I planted seed directly outdoors then tomatoes which
say they produce ripe fruit in 8 weeks will require 14 to 16 weeks.

Another friend tells me the plants will produce fruit in the same time
but the plants will just will not be as large or as productive. Who
is correct?

The first one.

Pat

Shoots. Guess it is next year for me. sob

go to any decent sized nursery and buy some transplants.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Old 25-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Steve Calvin

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Shoots. Guess it is next year for me. sob

go to any decent sized nursery and buy some transplants.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Yup. I can't grow from seeds anymore. Our cat eats 'em for "roughage"
I think. ;-) I always do transplants now and have good tomatos right
outside.

--
Steve

Old 25-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I told a friend that I would like to grow some tomatoes from seed and
he told me that it is too late this year and that tomatoes are usually
started indoors 6 to 8 weeks prior to being planted outdoors. This
friend told me if I planted seed directly outdoors then tomatoes which
say they produce ripe fruit in 8 weeks will require 14 to 16 weeks.

To everything, there is a season. In temperate (such an odd term for
bitter winter cold and scorching summer heat) climates, tomato plants
will *grow* after "danger of frost" is past and the soil has warmed up
some. However, we generally try to get a jump on the season by
starting plants in warmer, sheltered environments. My 'volunteer'
plants from last year's dropped fruit are about 3" high now; the
greenhouse-started ones are 2' tall after 3 weeks outdoors. They all
take approx. the same time to mature and bear fruit. We start them
early (or buy plants) to have fruit as soon as possible.

It's not exactly "too late" if you have a long growing season. You
just won't be able to serve your own tomatoes at your 4th of July
picnic.
Old 25-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Lee Hall

Steve Calvin wrote in message ...
DigitalVinyl wrote:

Shoots. Guess it is next year for me. sob

go to any decent sized nursery and buy some transplants.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Yup. I can't grow from seeds anymore. Our cat eats 'em for "roughage"
I think. ;-) I always do transplants now and have good tomatos right
outside.

I guess I will find out soon enough. Normally, I start all of my
seedlings inside and have them all in the ground by April 20 or so.
This year I wanted to try just a couple more varieties as an
afterthought so I germinated them outdoors in my big planter that
contains young carrot plants. They seem to be doing fine so far.
Will report back on how they produce. They were transplanted into the
garden on May 12. It is interesting to have plants all the way from
seedlings to over 3 feet tall but if the seedlings do produce, my crop
should be steady at least through September.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B
Old 25-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 25 May 2003 00:57:46 GMT, Steve Calvin
wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Shoots. Guess it is next year for me. sob

go to any decent sized nursery and buy some transplants.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Yup. I can't grow from seeds anymore. Our cat eats 'em for "roughage"
I think. ;-) I always do transplants now and have good tomatos right
outside.

Our cat has not bothered the seedlings.

We had to put a piece of wooden lattice-work across the bay
window though: we have a wide bay window - the kind that
sticks out from the house and has one big window, plus two
smaller ones at an angle to it.

There's a window ledge that's about two feet wide. I never
could have plants there (cat and dogs), but now we've
blocked their access with a piece of wooden lattice-work.

Our cat is a large and heavy cat and a total non-climber,
this probably wouldn't work for cats who climb.

Pat
Old 25-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Chuck Mercer

On Sun, 25 May 2003 00:23:34 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

Go get some plants from your local nursery or Home Depot.

I have done this in previous years and ended up with plump, red, okay
tasting, boring tomatoes. My hope was that I could also try something
different, such as stupice or cherokee purple or one of the obscure
heirloom types. I will know next year. There are not any mail order
plant suppliers in my country that still have heirlooms and customs
does not permit importing plants that have any earth on them.

Old 26-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Chuck Mercer

On Sun, 25 May 2003 18:04:39 -0400, Robin
wrote:

Do you have a farmer's market in your area? I've gotten Pineapple,
Mortgage Lifter, Homestead, Sungold, Mountain Pride, Principe Borghese,
and the more pedestrian/common Lemon Boy, Early Girl, and Celebrity from
mine. As well as a few others I'm probably forgetting.

There is no large farmer's market anywhere close to me. The local
nursery has only the common types and the variety at the other stores,
I have come to realise, is fit only for weeping over. As you said,
Early Girl, Lemon Boy etc.

The problem is that I was blissfully unaware of what I was missing.
Now I think about those red, plump, globe shaped, boring tomatoes
still with eager anticipation, but I know that even better types
exist. This next year will pass as slowly as did the last year before
I could drink! I just hope the heirloom tomatoes are not as
disappointing as Molson's (I have since learned there are much better
beers than the common kinds, too).
Old 27-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Darryl Okahata

Steve Calvin writes:

Yup. I can't grow from seeds anymore. Our cat eats 'em for "roughage"
I think. ;-) I always do transplants now and have good tomatos right
outside.

Another possibility is to grow some wheat -- many cats like the
tender wheat seedlings (around here, it's sold as "kitty grass" --
around $2.50 for a 3"-3.5" pot). Hopefully, they'll prefer the wheat
over the tomatoes.

[ However, I wouldn't let the wheat get above 6" or so. Cats seem to
go for the tender seedlings (3"-5"), but I don't know about anything
taller. ]

--
Darryl Okahata

Old 28-05-2003, 05:20 AM
zxcvbob

wrote:

I told a friend that I would like to grow some tomatoes from seed and
he told me that it is too late this year and that tomatoes are usually
started indoors 6 to 8 weeks prior to being planted outdoors. This
friend told me if I planted seed directly outdoors then tomatoes which
say they produce ripe fruit in 8 weeks will require 14 to 16 weeks.

Another friend tells me the plants will produce fruit in the same time
but the plants will just will not be as large or as productive. Who
is correct?

The first one.

Pat

Shoots. Guess it is next year for me. sob

Where are you? Volunteer tomato seedlings are just starting to come up
here in southern Minnesota. If I let them go, they will try to catch up
with the plants I set out. I would get a small crop off of them, even up
here with such a short season.

Go ahead and plant some seeds; what have you got to lose?

My tomatillo seedlings are blooming already. They are about 5 or 6 weeks
old. If you are interested tomatillos, you could surely still get a crop
from seeds.

Best regards,
Bob