Old 24-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Charles Thorpe

Default Munched Lilies - red beetle?

Any of you experts know what beastie I've found on my lilies?

A lot of the leaves on some plants have holes eaten into them, though not
usually on the edges, and quite a few flower buds have what looks like
thick white webbing covering them, though I suppose it could be a fungus.

I've found several beetles on them, bright red body and wing cases, six legs
(do all beetles have six?) and long black antennae. About 3/8 inch or a
little more from head to toe.

Never seen anything like them before, they're actually rather pretty, does
the red colour signify they're baddies?:-(

I've only just got really interested in gardening, but know next to nowt
about what I'm doing, so you may get a few idiotic questions from me!

--
Regards, Charles

cthorp at globalnet dot co dot uk
"I really cannot tolerate intolerance"